Monday 23 March 2009

Type Design


I've just realised that I haven't made any mention of the type design workshops I've been doing. Basically, we've had a visiting lecturer called Sally Castle coming in to teach some of us how to design a typeface. Sally gained her first job at Pentagram as a second year student purely on the strength of a typeface she designed, so maybe this will be more useful than I anticipated. Basically we began sketching out designs on to tracing paper, then scanned them in and used the FontLab Studio program to start drawing our letters. Although time consuming, I'm quite happy with my type design so far. It needs a bit of tweaking, but after printing out a 'waterfall' (a sheet filled with my typeface, getting larger and larger) I found my font scales down really well, in fact it's still just about legible even at 5 points. The image is of my rough draft before I scanned it in. I'll upload my final typeface once it's finished.

No comments: