Monday 20 October 2008

20th October - Post London/Pre crit

After a lengthy debate me and three others decided to go to Camden and see the markets. It was mainly me that pushed for this one as i've already seen the London eye/Oxford St and all the other touristy  places and the brief meant going somewhere new. 
   I really enjoyed going to Camden, it's such an unusual place, full of stalls for Punks/Goths/Ravers and basically every extreme going. I spent most of the journey with my eyes glued to my camera and took about 300 photo's, so I had plenty of material to work with for the brief. 

As for the Kyle Cooper lecture, I found it really interesting and he came across as a really nice, self effacing, funny guy. Although i'm definitely not a fan of lectures and tend to zone out he kept my attention all the way through (this may have had something to do with all the movie clips). I had no idea how many films Cooper had done the titles for, we briefly talked about him in the base room and watched the title sequence for Se7en, which happens to be one of my all-time favourite films, but I had no idea he had done the titles for films like Tropic Thunder. I found the whole thing pretty inspiring, and he gave out lots of advice for designers, like starting ideas on paper first;

"Keep your hand in it brother"

After spending hours sorting through my photo's I decided to buy a small A5 sketchbook and use it to record my journey through Camden in the form of illustrations, photo's and notes. I've now got half an hour before the crit and although my sketchbook isn't quite finished i'm pretty happy with it. We had to have the brief done for 10 o'clock this morning so I didn't bring any materials in, which means I couldn't get it finished throughout today. I might have aimed a bit high with this one, only having four days to do the whole thing. I spent about 10 hours on it yesterday and woke up at half 6 today to try and finish it, although it's pretty much complete there isn't much in the way of notes, which I was going to add in afterwards. I think that lets it down a bit as it's for the Text and Image unit and is basically just image. I'll have to see what the rest of the group think in the crit.... which i'm not looking forward to, being the worst public speaker in the world! :S

No comments: